View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
gleefan

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Hey guys! Found this interesting. Stop listening to AV. Start listening to wise mind... And, of course, how to distinguish between the two... http://www.soberrecovery.com/addicti...olism-talking/
This is a great topic. This article as well as Saskia's response about the addict mind/sober mind/wise mind stuck with me.

As I was working on my 7th step with my sponsor this week I finally differentiated my fight or flight instinct from my intuition - probably for the first time in my life. I've always had a pretty strong intuition (wise mind), but my instincts (addict mind) have been entangled all up in it, and I let my instincts rule because I confused my sense in the moment with what's right. Hence the evasion of responsibility, escapism, argumentativeness, and burnt bridges.

Last weekend when I faced my discomfort and forged ahead to that moms night out was an example of the new me - the me who was able to walk right into the party even though people had been blowing me off, the me who didn't argue my point with anyone, who kept the peace and won't feel any shame next time I see everyone. It's also the me who realized I had to face everyone that time to make sure I wasn't misreading the situation, but don't have to do that ever again.

The addict me would have been a different story. I would have either avoided it entirely, and vented to other people, or I would have faced off with everyone that night. I am so grateful to have a new way of handling things, and have been working on letting go of shame for the way I used to handle things.

Saskia - Thanks for the food for thought, as mentioned above.

Fradley - It's good to see you here. I struggled with lagging energy well into my first year of sobriety; a lot of people do. I just had to keep working at it til the fog lifted.

WWS - A steady exercise regimen is a great thing. Keep up the good work!

KIR - Hope you're having a good day.

RedAndy - Welcome. I'm glad you found this little corner of the site; it's a soft place to land. I look forward to hearing from you.

BoozeFree - I'm glad you didn't drink. Cravings are powerful, and I'm proud of you for using your tools to move beyond them. What are you doing to take care of you?? Self care is an important part of recovery!

Toots - I love the way you lay all of your experiences out there for us. Thank you!!

I'm glad you're here, Undies! If you're wondering why I keep coming to the One Year and Under thread at nearly 2 years sober, it's because the conversations we have here about recovery apply for me.