View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
lizatola

Thank You Maia! I needed some encouraging words because I'm doing a very good job at beating myself up.

I did go to my credit union yesterday and asked what documentation they needed to get me into a refi on the car loan. I'm at 4.5% right now and I think they can offer me just under 3%. Plus I originally financed about $4K more than what I owe now so hopefully I can at least lower the payment while I work towards paying it off.

I also called a new credit card company and transferred 90% of my credit card debt to a zero interest card for the next 21 months. That gives me a chance to pay down debt without interest charges accruing.

I also called Verizon and set up my company discount. I had to wait until I had 6 months of employment to do so and I finally got that done, too. AND, I called the cable company and got rid of HBO and Showtime. They had offered me a deal and I knew my first year would expire soon and my rate would go up so I got it lowered just in time. I still think I'll cancel cable in a few months completely but for now I'm saving about 30$ a month from what I was already paying.

Right now, I will be staying put in my home. My biggest problem with moving is that I don't have a solid employment history. This place was the only landlord/leasing company who would even entertain renting to me last year. It's the main reason I chose this house. Even apartment complexes had balked at my application. I was just at the point of calling my mom to see if she'd be a co-signer on my lease. I haven't had to ask my parents for anything like that since I was in college! It was humbling.

Anyway, until I have more employment under my belt I don't see moving as a viable option. I'm just going to have to find smarter ways to cut costs and save money, which I'm already working on obviously.