View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
redatlanta

I think finding the career path very important, but far less important than dealing with your financial situation. If you are taking half your living expenses out of savings that is that's a hemorrhage, and where your focus needs to be. 2 years is a blink of the eye and then all that money will be gone. To earn it back you will have to make most likely 30 - 40% above what you spent and that's on top of what it costs for you to live.

It sounds to me that the new job has the potential for you to earn far higher once you are licensed, but that the additional 5k will change very little for the time being. You need to move out of the house or bring in a paying roommate to cover the costs, trade in the car for one that is paid off with the equity or a lower payment. If you can flip the credit balance to zero great - then leave the cards at home. Forget they exist.

When I started my business we cut down on everything. Surprising to me our largest cost was food because we seldom eat out. However, I shopped often and at the most convenient grocery including the high end specialty groceries. There were months that my grocery bill was close to my mortgage payment. So I started shopping at a grocer known for lower pricing joining their "discount" card and also doing online coupons. I cannot describe how "NOT ME" this was. The savings have been huge we have cut costs at the LEAST by half and some months more. I shop once a week, and meal plan. We also eat leftover's now and we didn't used to. Meal planning is imperative to cutting costs on food, and Dandy has a great suggestion in crock pot meals. I cook two large meals on Sunday generally speaking a pot of soup and a pot roast, spaghetti, etc. that will serve 2 - 4 of my meals a week. We also paid off all debt except the house. Now the money flow is very high in relation to cost of living. Tempting to go back to the old ways of convenience at times but NOPE. I get Anvil and the new car deal - I spun my head around this week at a new BMW and though "hmmm I deserve that". Not going there, I'll keep my paid off 7 year old Acura and drive it till the wheels fall off!!! In the meantime our savings is fat and happy and finally I'm catching up on what was lost in the recession in retirement (still a long way off).

So I guess I haven't been very helpful about your career path! That's because other things are more important and living in the "now" rather than "I plan on making more in the future to cover all this cost so I can stay here" is a poor financial decision. I believe your BF is correct that you underestimate yourself.

Question you don't answer is what are you passionate about? Do you want to go back into finance? Did you love being a stockbroker?