Old 01-22-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hey there, I've just read through this thread since the day of your surgery... wow, what a story in so many ways! Very glad that things are starting to look up on different fronts for you now.

I so relate to this sentiment:
Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I guess, after being sober for a while now, and truly appreciating the ability to act independently of a drug's influence, from a clear state of mind and all, when abilities like showering, bathing, eating, and sleeping without some sort of aid -- whether from people or medicine -- are suddenly gone, it's disconcerting, and disturbing.
Personally, I've been trying to "work on" my issues and general strong feelings about independence for a good while now, and I've gotten as far as appreciating that independence, in a way, is an illusion as most of us humans don't live in isolation... and the concept of interdependence is a more helpful way for me to look at it. But when it comes to basic needs such as those you have been experiencing and describing here, it's very hard... especially if the people that theoretically and/or practically are closest to us are unsupportive. Kudos to you for going through this experience the way you do

Your commitment to this surgery, the healing process, and the way you use SR for support also reveals a level of perseverance and ability to show and overcome vulnerability that is very inspiring. I hope things continue to improve for you now in a more steady way!