Old 01-20-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Nic233

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
Acupuncture surprised me. It was recommended as treatment for anxiety. It was good, but some of it seemed hokey. The guy kept feeling up my wrist, while doing something with something on his belt, and watching something on the desk, and then making notes. It was strange.

But the things he said after that were right on.

1) I need to slow my brain down. He said of thought activity, on a scale of zero to ten, with zero being perfect, I am at 100. He told me to start living one hour at a time (he does not know I am in recovery). Thoughts of the past and the future are no-no's. Whenever possible, I am supposed to refuse to entertain thoughts of anything but the hour I am in. He mentioned practicing mindfulness a couple times.

2) He said I eat too sporadically and eat the wrong things. He recommended 900 calories of plant starch (potatoes, bread, rice, corn, legumes), and 5 servings of fruit (bananas, oranges, red grapes) per day. The rest should be protein, fat and veggies of my choice.

Then he did the acupuncture on my front. I thought he was just giving me little pokes and was surprised to see needles sticking out. He left them in for around 25 minutes or so. Then he did my back and I fell asleep on the table. It is surprisingly relaxing. Woke up feeling like a million bucks!

The feeling of being calm and rested is sticking with me. I stopped running around and am happy to just stay home tonight and cozy up to a book. It makes no sense whatsoever, but I cannot argue with the results. Acupuncture is impressive.

I am giving the diet a go too.

It will be cool to stay home tonight and catch up on SR as well.
Wow Silly, acupuncture has always been something of interest to me but like you I wondered if it was a little left of centre for me! So interesting to hear about your experience of it. I would really welcome any help with my anxiety levels, and my obsession to binge eat especially whilst I'm not drinking... I am under a doctor's care but I am open to anything else that may help.
Never thought I would be one to go to meetings either but yet after my 3rd one, I am hooked.!