Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
RallyAly

Joining in at the Month's MidPoint

Hi all,

I've been reading posts on SR for a few days as I tapered and today is my Day 2, so hello! I've been a heavy drinker, for the most part, since 18 (41 now) but usually the ability to scale down for chunks of time without much thought. In the past three years that has changed; I've been drinking more, fewer sober or light days, and except for a couple heath worries that spurred me to grit through 3-4 weeks of sobriety prior to testing rarely going more than 1 maybe 2 days without drinking.

Light beer is my drink of choice, probably averaging 6-8 daily with a couple of days each week going 12-18 beers. I quit smoking 5 months ago cold turkey and am feeling good and strong from that (and like I've gotten over the energy drains and willpower pulls from that at this point).

I tapered somewhat intentionally while visiting in-laws. Not cool to go through all the beer! Then got home and had a heavy night, light night, heavy night, then entered real quitting. I had three light beers Monday then one measured shot rum in a big gatorade both Tuesday and Wednesday evening (when HR and BP went up). And nothing last night.

I probably didn't need to taper - I haven't before and been fine and I was an evening drinker (with weekend drinking usually starting in evening too). However, I had a friend who died from electrolyte and fluid imbalance after quitting cold turkey and her death has me respectful about the possible dangers of quitting.

So far some agitation, a few headaches, and some rises in my HR And BP (which are both low baseline so not terribly concerning). I'm encouraged that I feel the same way as I did for my smoking quit: not filled with nervous resolve, rather feeling, simply, done with it.