View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
schnappi99

I wouldn't like that rigid meeting either. I've heard an AA speaker get excited about a fancy sponsorship lineage back to Dr Bob- frankly its kind of a turn-off for me. The "everyone is just another bozo on the bus message" really resonates with me and having a "trophy sponsor" lineage seems to emphasize prestige rather than just working the steps.

My sponsor and I started with phone chats a few times/week, after the work was in progress we chatted after the meeting (see each other at the home group meeting once/week), and I'll get in touch w/ email or whatever if something comes up. He works with quite a few people and has active qualifiers, so I try to be very careful with his time.

I think the sponsor relationship & step stuff is likely to be different for everyone, maybe some people prefer the kind of structure you're talking about. For my money if its making you uncomfortable or you're feeling an intrusion into your personal space then it might be good to explore other meetings; get some perspective. For having such consistent material its amazing to see how different AA/Alanon meetings can be.

My sponsor and I had the expectation talk right away. His were that I'd go to "enough" meetings/wk (where enough is something greater than 1 and less than where my head explodes, the particular number being up to me). He wanted to start the step work right away, from the Blueprint book, but did not specify that it had to go a particular way. I started with the blueprint questions and after a couple chapters the inventory turned into essay form, from which I did my 5th step with him. At all stages his interest was that I was making some progress, and that we discussed moving to later steps- but there was and isn't any deadline or format pressure.

"We learned that, just as each member may interpret the program
for himself (with honesty, of course), so each group may do the
same, with the same requirement of honesty." Grapevine V1N8 Jan 1945