Old 01-12-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Fluffer
Into the Void

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Good to see you, jazz!

I'm in a place today that I never dreamed possible a year ago and I owe it all to a single decision I made in December 2014. Of course, that decision was to quit drinking forever but I was only able to make that decision after finding my way to SR and the Secular Forum. I finally heard the message that I didn't have to fix all the crud in my life in order to get sober! I could get sober and THEN a lot of the crud in my life would naturally work itself out! Brilliant! A big thanks to everyone who contributes to this outstanding little corner of SR!

This year I've been able to reclaim my life in all sorts of ways...both big and small. Sometimes I think it's the little things that make the biggest mental impact. Stuff like going to the dentist regularly, taking car of the car, doing laundry regularly, just doing the basics and taking care of yourself. I neglected SO much when I was drinking, including my health, finances, relationships, etc...

The big changes this year....I quit a job I couldn't stand and I ended a long term relationship with an alcoholic/addict that was bringing me nothing but grief. I took big steps to take car of myself. Something I hadn't done in a very long time and it was really empowering!

Quitting has had a snowball effect in that the very act of CHOOSING to quit drinking has given me the confidence I needed to enact other positive changes in my life. It's given me momentum and a life I honestly had stopped hoping for.

It's good to see everyone checking in!

Happy New Year!
Xo
Sounds like you're really kicking butt, Brynn!!! We quit around the same time and I remember you from early days here. Way to go in totally transforming your life for the better! Keep us posted on your upward spiral!!!