View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  
brach123

I really get where you both are coming from Jenses and Bobby. After a short time sober I can begin to get discouraged about life in general, be it trying to get work, my living situation, or what I want to be doing in life... I think UB's suggestion of setting some goals is a good one and the links Dee posted with how to set out a plan of recovery has also been really useful for me. (https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf)

The main thing is that these negative feelings always pass and I am always beyond happy that I didn't act out on them. I have found mindulness books/meditation have helped me to live with these feelings, let them be and to move on from them.

I actually spent some time on writing in my plan last night, laying out things I want to do right away and more long term goals. It's good for to have some structure and also to identify what I enjoy doing in sobriety. I think what I have heard about 'getting out of self' is so true when I'm struggling. If I'm ever feeling down/anxious or any other negative emotion it's because I'm stuck in my own thoughts, thinking about me! Bringing it back to the moment and speaking to somebody else, helping around the house or doing some other activity always helps give me relief from feeling so bad, although it can take some time! I'm very much a work in progress ;-)

I've had a good day, I went to the job centre and then feeling encouraged popped into a job agency to give them my CV and sat down for a good chat with the agent there. When it came to filling out my details there was a questions about criminal convictions so I told her about my DUI. She didn't seem too concerned and said it wouldn't affect me getting work through them, I just hope she meant it! Anyway I'm glad I went, I'd been putting it off and feel good about facing my fear, we'll see if there is any fruition in the coming days!

Oh and I called a guy I know from AA last night and asked him if he would sponsor me, which he agreed to and we are meeting tomorrow for a coffee and to discuss working the steps. Good times indeed :-)

I hope you all enjoy your day sober.