View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
ubntubnt

hi Jenses, most certainly. I think it is Anna I have seen saying many times exactly that. The quitting is only the first part. Working your recovery and learning to live sober is what it is really about. Personally I think I have only really scratched the surface of this. God only knows what issues lie beneath the surface once I start scratching at it but for now I am focusing on staying sober and actually quite enjoying the experience at the moment. With every day that passes going back to my old way of drinking becomes less of an option.

Maybe set yourself some goals that you can aim towards, maybe a fitness goal, or a financial goal, maybe a charity goal etc. Something that can keep you focused and make you feel that you are moving forward every day. I have decided I need to lose 9kg in 9 weeks and run a half marathon in week 10. For me thats a tough challenge and means watching my diet and gym training 3 or 4 times a week. I also have a set amount of miles I need to cover each week (and each day) in my program. It helps because I can feel every day that I am on track and I know when I get out of bed every day what I need to do. I have a very competitive nature so I don't want to lose and mess up the goal......and all the time I am thinking/obsessing on this I am not drinking....and now its day 43.

As for all the other issues, well I am not sure what they are but I am sure I will get to them when I am ready.

You are doing amazing entering week 6. There are a number of books on recovery that may help you to understand how to begin the process of facing other issues in your life. Dee or Anna would be able to give you plenty of recommendations. Also, I did try AA last year and while I ultimately decided it was not for me I did come away with a lot of respect for it and the 12 step program. It focuses on rebuilding the foundations of a sober life and if you have not attended a meeting I can only recommend it.