View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  
Bekindalways

Arrrghhh Patricia, I wish I had a simple answer for you.

I pretty much NEVER want to exercise. I have a few tricks to get myself to do it but it is almost always a struggle. My main trick is just to tell myself to do it for 5 minutes. Usually I will go a bit longer but if I don't, 5 minutes is still something. Today all I did was 15 minutes and a bit of snow shoveling.

Exercising with someone else helps me also as I don't want to let the other person down. My main gym partner has advanced Parkinsons and had a stroke. She can hardly walk and talk but will go to the rec center if I will take her. I usually call her and commit in the morning and then secretly hope all day she will cancel but she almost never does. My sister actually calls me to get herself to go for a walk and we will talk through her entire walk. She is also a depressive and the walks help her.

Occasionally I have gotten in the habit of exercising and then I don't even think if I'm motivated, I just do it. It takes a a lot of white knuckling through a few weeks of everyday sesssions to establish a habit and then it is easy to lose that habit.

I'm a depressive and have been on meds for some 25 years which has helped but doesn't cure the depression. Exercise is the only other thing besides meds that has helped. Many, many, many days I don't do to well.

Finding you all who keep getting up, and getting up and getting up and trying again really helps,.

I so get it Patricia when you say just getting up, dressed and drinking coffee (except for the coffee as I can drink buckets of it) is hard to do. Even when I know getting my heart rate up is the best thing i could do, I won't do it. You are going through so much C%$#@!p right now; don't beat yourself up too much. Give yourself points for putting your clothes on right side out!