View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MikeM

Back again, new day 1

I've been a member here a few times under different usernames. Btw, quick note to the admins: I'd like to keep this one instead of having it merged with an old one. The reason is that I have disconnected from my old self. I'm starting fresh and a new username is part of that for me.

I've had so much trouble quitting. For so long. Usually I would join here, stay sober for a short while, relapse, throw my login details in the trash. Giving up. This happened a few times.

But I'm back. You may wonder, why do I think it will be different this time? That's because I had a huge breakthrough last year.

See, I decided to quit again November 20th. And much to my surprise, I managed to stay sober. Until New Year's Eve... A little champagne and a week long binge followed.

But... I did have more than 1 month and 1 week sober before it. And that was the breakthrough. That had been impossible for me in my previous attempts.

With that experience, I'm starting over. Now I know I can stay sober for at least that long. And if I hadn't taken the champagne the desire for alcohol hadn't been triggered. I would still have been sober.

So, lesson learned. I know now that I will get to a point where I can live without alcohol and I need to avoid it completely. Not even one sip. For the rest of my life. And I think I can do that.

A new day 1, and I expect it to be the last time!