View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thomas11

This is therapeutic for me.

This will be a long post but as indicated in the title, it is purely therapeutic for me.
Our recent vacation was one of the better ones I've had in my life. It was also a learning experience. I'm sure much of the reason it was a good one is because I didn't drink, with one exception, and I posted about that. Both flying to and from without a hangover made flying a breeze, I don't like to fly. I don't have a fear of flying, but I hate the hassle and its boring. This time it was not a hassle. We stayed busy, that helped. We rent this house and keep a room empty for us, there is satellite TV, but its in Spanish, no computer, just my wife's tablet. I don't care to do the touristy things in LA because I've done them, no point in doing them again. So I read, visited with family and...yes, I did a lot of cooking. Its always a risk cooking for them because they are all Peruvian and I don't know if they are going to like what I cook. But we had seafood: shrimp, scallops, mini lobster tails, pheasants, and a egg-bake dish, on various days while we were out there. Hit up a sushi place and Malibu seafood (a tradition to have clam chowder there).

Part two: Trip to Mexico was well....a trip. Loved the place we rented, it was everything and more. No complaints there. Wife has family in Rosarito so we got to eat and visit both Rosarito and Tijuana as the locals do it. Found myself in downtown Tijuana at the fish markets one afternoon, talk about a fish out of water (pun intended). White boy from the Midwest in downtown Tijuana....crazy. Needless to say I didn't talk much, they picked me out right away and start asking for money and wanting to sell me anything. But a unique cultural experience. Addicts, beggars, cops on the take, drug dealers, you name it. Trip back to the states was also interesting, the 3 hour wait at the Tijuana border is like going to a carnival. For those of you who have done it, you know what I'm talking about. Border agent was a d*ck, sent us to secondary because we had some sliced sausage in our cooler (that ironically was brought in from the states). Got a lecture on the history of the fruit-fly by the agent. Ridiculous.

Part three: Brother in law is worse off than I imagined. Everyone says alcoholism is progressive, its true. In prior trips I would have been right beside him drinking up a storm and carrying on. I did not participate this time and his resentment was palpable. Screw him, I don't need to be his drinking buddy. Breaks down like this, he drinks everyday. 70% of the time is drinking beer "moderately" all day starting at 9AM. The other 30% of the time, its beer most of the day, then switches to some harder stuff or shots of tequila. On new years eve and new years day the man drank himself into oblivion. Sat at a table with a BUCKET of sangria in front of him with a ladle and drank glass after glass until he was belligerent and insulting to everyone there. He drank so much his motor skills stopped working. Next morning I go out to the garage to grab a bottle of water, its 8AM. He and his drinking buddy are drinking beer. This went on until he finally passed out at 5PM New Years Day. He doesn't experience withdrawal because he's never 100% sober. I pulled him aside one day and told him about my journey, my concerns about his health and business, and offered encouragement as opposed to scolding him (can't scold a 46 year old man IMO). I also told him about this website and how much it has helped me. He basically dismissed it. Truthfully, I wonder if he's "given up". Not sure.

Part four: My father called me with about 3 days left on my vacation and wondered if I had left him some medication at my house and where it was. I lied to him. I told him I gave him some before I left and that I did not have any in the house. I had to do it. Well, surprise surprise, he kicked his habit. He had 2 uncomfortable days, a 3rd day was so-so, and by day 4 he said he was fine. That was good news.

Part five: My slip, I have no excuses, I read every response. I know I played with fire. In fact, I'm sitting here right now with no obligations until Monday morning and the thought has crossed my mind to run to the liquor store and have a few. Why not, right? Who is it going to hurt? I can't do it though, that's how it starts with me. Having a lazy attitude towards it, then 2 days later I wonder where the last 2 days went. And then god forbid a 3rd and 4th day.

So there you have it. I needed to get that out.

ps. I didn't proof read this extensively so if there are errors I apologize in advance.