Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Hey SR family.

I have been reading but not posting lately. Since I became serious about quitting and actually not drinking, I have been becoming recluse. Granted it's winter and not much to do but it's deeper than that. I have no drive to do anything but work, provide for my family and that's about it.

My "friends" have all but scattered because I don't drink and they do. It's been a long time since I just hung out with some guy friends and did guy stuff. Don't get me wrong, my family and I have grown much closer but guys need to hang with guys from time to time. Kid time with Hot wheels and barbies only go so far for an adult...haha.

Also not much drive to do anything else. I mean anything. Also I have always had a pretty good outlook for the most part but now have a sense of dread. Where did that come from?

For example, I usually call my dad once a week. Haven't called him in over a month nor returned his calls. He's been relaying messages through my wife. Why is that?

I have no interest in anything. I guess my question is, am I just in a funk or is there a "condition" for this phase of early sobriety I am dealing with? I know changes are going to cause realignment but for how long.

And I am fully aware that rainbows don't just expell from orrifices because someone quits drinking but I am open to any advice. If not I appreciate you reading as I wanted to sound off to people who understand. Thanks
Charlie, as I read this, I kept looking up to make sure it wasn't something I wrote and didn't remember. This is exactly where I am right now. I am struggling to return texts, answer phone calls, deactivated my Facebook account, etc...I don't care about what others are doing or ant to be involved with them. I just want to work, provide for the family, and work on myself. I am more excited to read a book, watch a movie or a game alone, meditate, or come on SR than I am to be around people. I force myself still so I don't become a weird hermit or something. I believe this is just an adjustment period that we all go through. We are also seeing who our true friends are. The ones who stick around and understand that you are going through one of the toughest periods of life anyone could experience are the ones you want to keep. I also think we become recluse because we feel others will either judge us or not understand what we are going through. At least, that's my experience. I believe it will pass, but will take some time. Good luck!