View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Keepnitreal

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Checking in on day 4! Feeling good about my renewed commitment. I tried to talk to my husband a bit this morning about the issue I have with binge drinking. He is trying to quit smoking and started talking to be about the challenges he faced last night when he went out to watch a football game. Normally he would meet/talk to people when he went out for a smoke. He wasn't able to do that last night. I started to talk to him about the challenges I face when we go out related to drinking. He reiterated that he doesn't understand why I can't stop myself from getting smashed and that at least with smoking his personality doesn't change. He then went on to provide examples of my poor embarrassing behavior. He also told me he's been having nightmares because of my binges. I feel really bad. I want to fix this for good. I have caused pain and embarrassment, lost friends and find that I am isolating myself from people/events. I feel so sad right now.
Rah-would he be up for an Al-anon meeting? Maybe you both could go together since he doesn't seem to understand the disease. it sounds as though he doesn't want your binge drinking, but doesn't want his social world upset by your sobriety. (His smoking effects others in a different way) Maybe you could ask him what is more important to him? Do you have any literature that you could share with him?
It's a tough situation