View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
patricia68

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I am going to say something here that will probably make me unpopular Patricia but suggesting that PMS is a reason for drinking is going a bit far in my book. Many people manage to stop get sober and stay sober for life despite grappling with all kinds of problems.. major depression, serious illnesses, mental health problems, menopause, trauma, abuse, divorce etc etc. At some point we need to decide that we are stronger than all that and that we are not going to pick up that drink, no matter what, ever. PMS doesn't make you drink. You drink because you have not yet got a strategy for dealing with irritability or whatever else you feel at that time of the month.
Absolutely Fabat50! I have learned how to deal with the everyday anxiety with the help of my Dr and counselor. But I still have to find a strategy for when I feel overwhelmed and I seem to lose control of my emotions. I know there's something wrong with my hormones. Not only emotionally but also physically. I had labor pain last night while I was laying in bed and trying to sleep. That's not normal! An overwhelming anxiety is not normal! And yet the blood test that my Dr ordered came out normal...that's why I am confused.

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
You also talk about having had a drink but "no harm done". I would disagree with that. One drink, no matter how tiny or insignificant, is still compromising your sobriety.
What I meant with "no harm done" was that I was home. I didn't drive, I didn't blackout. I didn't get hurt, nobody else got hurt. I meant that I was lucky enough that there were no serious consequences. That doesn't make it less serious. I do worry about my sobriety. There's obviously something missing in my plan to stay sober. And I am willing to work harder to make a better pan with the help of my Dr, counsellor and SR.