View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Fabat50

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I had a drink last night. At home, in the middle of the night, no damage.

My plan is to talk to my counselor this week. I have an appointment on Friday.

And I am going to talk to my doctor on Monday. PMS was the cause of way too many slips, I want her to do some tests and work on a plan. This is not normal PMS, I literally lose my mind 3 days a month every month and it's time to fix it.

I am not giving up.
I am going to say something here that will probably make me unpopular Patricia but suggesting that PMS is a reason for drinking is going a bit far in my book. Many people manage to stop get sober and stay sober for life despite grappling with all kinds of problems.. major depression, serious illnesses, mental health problems, menopause, trauma, abuse, divorce etc etc. At some point we need to decide that we are stronger than all that and that we are not going to pick up that drink, no matter what, ever. PMS doesn't make you drink. You drink because you have not yet got a strategy for dealing with irritability or whatever else you feel at that time of the month.

You also talk about having had a drink but "no harm done". I would disagree with that. One drink, no matter how tiny or insignificant, is still compromising your sobriety.

I am saying this out of genuine concern for you. I myself was the Queen of excuses as to why I had that one off/little drink. But one day I realised you can't "sort of get sober". You either do or you don't.

Thinking of you.