View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
rahrah
Recoverer of Self

Originally Posted by BobbyLight View Post
Morning everyone....day 6 for me so just checking in. I'd never heard of AV before, or I guess just never put a label on "it".
I've been trying to quit for 30 yrs. 10 yrs ago I sought help, but wasn't introduced to AVRT...I wish I had been, it may have helped a lot.

See, I have always thought I had a split personality....fer real! I wanted so desperately to quit, but then there was another person in my head 'Her' telling me to drink. She would whisper all sorts of things to me about picking up again and eventually I would.

I couldn't understand how I could be so dedicated to quitting and end up drinking again. Eventually.... over many years...I had convinced myself that I must have 2 personalities....independent of each other. I felt crazy... and hopeless.

Then I learned about AVRT and WOW!!!!! Turns out I'm not crazy...I don't have a split personality...I have an addiction (which I always knew) but that addiction has a VOICE. Identifying that 'other personality' as an intruder... made me able to hate it, rather than hate myself. For some reason, that distinction... separating my addiction from me... was like a light turning on....I saw my addiction as an entity... not as ME.

So I chained HER up and put that lunatic in a cage.... and every time I hear her stirring... whenever her chains are rattling....I go and check the lock on the cage and make sure her chains are secure (by working my Big Plan) and get on with my life....SOBER!