View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
ClearCut

Hope everyone's looking after themselves so far this brand New Year. Our moment is here!

It's been a day of reflection for me, supplemented by the trials of Christmas decorations removal with the family! I've thought about the person I will be when I am well on the road to recovery. A more patient dad and partner, able to give my honest commitment to work. Able, at last, to actually enjoy the mornings and the possibility of doing a run or other worthwhile pursuit before work untarnished by poison. Security in the knowledge I am no longer destroying myself, slowly but surely by drinking.

I'm determined to also keep in the forefront of my mind a couple of recent wakeup call moments, which fortunately didn't come to any consequence, but did give me a hell of a scare. One where my drinking habits for the first time frightened my young daughter. The other being my own safety when on way to work on a "morning after" commute. I knew a sober life was urgently needed when these events happened. A huge red flag was planted in my consciousness.

I'm closing out Day 4. Fortunately I've not to date encountered any major physical effects, beyond some sleep disturbance and night sweats. That said, I've also had a bad head cold, which has had the added bonus of silencing my AV quite significantly - although I'm being vigilant.

I've so far prepared a working plan, with a brainstorm of actions I can take, triggers and warning signs to address from past experience. Plus things to do if the wheels threaten to come off. I have also found a real connection with AVRT and am well underway with my reading of "Under the Influence", by Milam & Ketcham. So far, all of the above very useful to me.

I think we've all come to the right place here to make a huge and unbreakable commitment to free ourselves in 2016.