View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
gleefan

Undies - I enjoy the conversation and sharing on this thread! Everyone's commitments to keep moving toward sobriety inspires me to keep it up too.

Toots - You said exactly what I was thinking, way better than I could say it.

Amp - It reminds me of the saying that what other people think of me is none of my business. I'd spent a lifetime trying to help others understand me. Even when I'd find people who understood me, I'd focus on my frustration with those who didn't. I am finally learning to be grateful and enjoy the people who do understand, limit time with those who don't, and accept what is. I still have a lot to learn, and I'm still working on it.

WWS - I love your steady, ongoing commitment to sobriety and the joy you have from just living right.

My bottom was "high" in that when I stopped drinking I was married, employed, and my social reputation was intact. However what people couldn't see underneath it all was that being drunk had become my only interest and hobby. I passed out 90% of the times that I drank. I wasn't interested in spending time with people because it cut into the time I could be really drunk, and I didn't want to stop drinking in spite of negative effects on my life like injuries, a DUI, and doing/saying things that embarrassed me.

I wasn't a hobo on the street, but I'm no different from any other alcoholic in that the struggle back to health and functioning from that dark place was hard. As unnatural as sobriety felt at first, I keep learning how to integrate it into a healthy, balanced life that alcohol has no role in!!

As we roll into 2016 I'm grateful for SR, AA, the tools I've been given, the sober friends I've made, and the new lease on life it's given me. I'm going to commit to keep giving back the love and support that has so kindly been offered to me. Undies, let's keep supporting each other's struggles and learning from each other's best practices, and may we all have a happy, safe and sober 2016!!