View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
HopefulBob

Hello all,
I've been following this trend but this is my first post. I have been a functioning alcoholic for over 15 years, not an everyday drinker but my life definitely revolved around it. My drinking slowed time a few years ago when we had kids but I still couldn't wait to have my beers on the weekends after the kids were in bed. I could not go a week without it, and I was lying to myself and others about how much I was actually drinking. Well, a few months ago I had a health scare unrelated to drinking. When everything turned out ok, I felt like I had a new lease of life and decided to give up alcohol so I could be around as long as possible for my kids and to give them my full attention. I have been completely sober for a month. My issue now is that a deep depression has set in. I keep having these thoughts that nothing matters and I am going to die anyway regardless. Is it this the AV talking? Or was I just masking these feelings by being focused on drinking for so long. I wish I was more of a spiritual person but unfortunately it isn't easy for me. Thank you for your time.