View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
stargazer016
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Good evening all! I just heard that the 60-90 day stretch is a really tough time on new sobriety. Did many of you find that to be the case? How did you handle it? I don't want to blow it after coming this far!!
I had several very strong urges to drink in my third month, ones that were huge challenges to overcome. I think my AV realized after two months that it was fighting a losing battle and came at me with all it had in a last ditch effort to get me drinking again.

Be hyper aware of HALT. The AV waits until a couple of these factors are in play before launching a craving. Be sure to be close to SR to get support. It seemed to me that approaching a milestone, like 60 days or 90 days, always stirred up my AV. Knowing ahead of time will be a huge help.

For me, my AV really quieted down after 90 days. That's not to say that there will not be challenges coming. Between three months and six months, I slowly began to think of myself as a person who does not drink. During the first 90 days, I was simply an alcoholic who was trying to abstain from booze. It is a huge mind shift and I am still working on it at eight months sober.

Hope this helps a little. You seem to be doing very well! Keep it up!