View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  
ultradad

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Distinctly similar path and timescale a year later I was a complete and utter mess embarrassing my parents in front of family and friends at church at the midnight service falling all over the place and having to be carried home after raiding the spirits cabinet at home whilst they were next door - 13 years old and like you the first of many years of getting in plenty of trouble through drink and drugs.

Just had to leave the family downstairs for a while and come out of the way - father in law and the wife now having a beer - first ones that have been in the house - FIL asking me I f want one and looking at it could neck it in one quite easily right now and keep going for the night - it's not going to happen but still making me feel pretty crap all the same. Trying as well to not let it show there's any issue in front of the in laws at the wife's request but her dads not stupid can see he's dying to say something.

Getting a take away curry so thinking I'll jump in the car and go for a drive for a bit to get out of here and go pick that up - altho as soon as I walk in I'll be asked if I want a beer whilst waiting and be around plenty of people enjoying a drink - arggghhh.
Hang in there! I just keep reminding myself that I'll hate myself in the morning if I take that first drink! You're the better person for being true to yourself and keeping those self promises. Maybe best to just come out and tell them something/anything so they'll stop tempting you, plus it'll keep you accountable. I use to tell people I had a long run planed the next day and couldn't drink and I also use to tell people that I found out I was allergic to alcohol and couldn't drink anymore...usually once people know you don't plan on drinking they'll stop asking.

We're all here making it through the next few days so keep checking back! I just had a HUGE craving and almost stopped to get some beer! Was joking with the wife about drinking today and who would of thought, but she's like, "Well, maybe a few would be nice" I got real terrified, excited and lot's of other emotions all I once!!! We sat in front of the store and talked it out and somehow drove away with no alcohol...crazy how fast my mind can turn from total sobriety for life to maybe one more try!

Feeling blessed to be back home sober and able to post here!