View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
RedAndy

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
The first time I ever drank alcohol was Christmas Eve 1983, I was 14 years old and at my grandmothers house. There was always champagne flowing and this year my older brothers girlfriend decide she would sneak me some. We ended up running out and her and I took my brothers truck and drove to the store to get more...that's the last thing I remember until later that night me throwing-up as my sister held my head up so I wouldn't fall into my own puke after we got home. I had blacked out the very first time drinking and this should have been a sign, but no, it was only the beginning!

30 plus years later, 3 DUI's, numerous alcohol and drug related arrest, a titanium plate holding my skull together after a drunken accident led to brain surgery, scars all over my body and destroyed relationships you'd think I would have learned a lesson. But, today on the 32nd anniversary year I will struggle as the disease inside of me will fight with everything it has to cause me to drink again.

When people tell me to just 'man up' or 'drink like a man' and assume that alcoholism isn't a disease I can't help but think back on my life and know inside that if there was a way to drink normal, I would have by now.

Not sure why I'm sharing this now, never really thought about it, but here's hoping we make it another hour, day and year in sobriety.
Distinctly similar path and timescale a year later I was a complete and utter mess embarrassing my parents in front of family and friends at church at the midnight service falling all over the place and having to be carried home after raiding the spirits cabinet at home whilst they were next door - 13 years old and like you the first of many years of getting in plenty of trouble through drink and drugs.

Just had to leave the family downstairs for a while and come out of the way - father in law and the wife now having a beer - first ones that have been in the house - FIL asking me I f want one and looking at it could neck it in one quite easily right now and keep going for the night - it's not going to happen but still making me feel pretty crap all the same. Trying as well to not let it show there's any issue in front of the in laws at the wife's request but her dads not stupid can see he's dying to say something.

Getting a take away curry so thinking I'll jump in the car and go for a drive for a bit to get out of here and go pick that up - altho as soon as I walk in I'll be asked if I want a beer whilst waiting and be around plenty of people enjoying a drink - arggghhh.