Old 12-22-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mimalisa

Hello All,
I am new to the website. I want to thank all of you for your thoughtful insights. I am a worried sister of an "adult" substance/alcohol abuser. He lives with our mother. My other brother and I have tried numerous times over a number of years to talk to our mother and our brother. He is extremely manipulative and refuses to continue with any treatments he has ever begun. The latest is that we are quickly approaching Christmas and we are so sad/frustrated with the situation. We have stopped talking to our mother because we cannot tolerate it anymore. When we try to make suggestions/offer help, we become "the enemies"... It's so hard to watch the train wreck that has become their life... Our mother's siblings (aunts & uncles) are angry and frustrated as well. Unfortunately, anyone who tries to talk to our mother is shut down/shut out. She says she can't just "throw him out into the street." He has full VA benefits. He claims he has PTSD as a result of being incarcerated during his very short time in the military...he was caught dealing drugs at the time... Thanks for listening, it does help to know we aren't the only ones in this boat.