View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
RedAndy

Hi All,

37 days now and going well with things at present, the last week has been much better than weeks 1 to 4.

Interesting read regarding PAWS which I had taken a look at a couple of weeks ago after somebody else had mentioned it to me.

Nutrition and exercise are both things I've put a lot of time into for a good few years now (another obsession to be honest) - and been a reason I've abstained previously, upto 2 months on one occasion but always a huge binge on the cards at the end and never admitting any problems, I suppose the fact I've been able to do that has made it easier to avoid the fact that it really is a problem.

I can without doubt confirm that when a completely clean diet / no sugars / processed foods etc (of course goes without saying no alcohol) and a good exercise plan are put into place that everything does become significantly improved.

First 2 weeks is extreme with only protein and some veg and days 3 to 5 can be pretty rough but once through them energy levels seem to increase significantly if you're able to stick with it (pretty sure that everyone here having the willpower to succeed with abstinence can do this if looking for general improvements):-

Banned list
Wheat and all other grains
Dairy
Limit nuts to 6 at a time
Root Veg (except carrots)
Sugar
Fruit
Legumes
Beans

Eat 6 meals a day and then a cheat meal on day 15 and every week thereafter (3 courses of whatever you feel like but just eat until full and not until fit to pop), over the following weeks introduce other things gradually into the diet. Week 3 add in berries / apples / pears / brown rice / quinoa / butternut squash. Week 4 add sweet potaotes / legumes / beans.

No doubt at all in my mind that cutting / omitting sugar is the most beneficial thing that can be done (after alcohol and drugs of course !!) - general feeling definitely improves massively - start of last week after a bit of a sugar binge at the weekend I woke feeling like I'd been out on the ale.

Worth a try for anyone who wants to reduce the possible effects of PAWS and if not affected will benefit greatly, weight loss is also significant if that is a goal - one thing to note with this plan I'm rarely if ever hungry (not a diet in my eyes - just healthy eating).

Once the Festive period has come and gone the sugar will definitely be being cut from my diet again.