View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SoberMarathon

Good morning...Cristina - we must be synced! I'm also up at 6am having my coffee, but my 7yr old (and 4yr old) are still out cold.

Feels surreal at times to have the whole weekend in front of me without being hungover or thinking about the drink. Almost too many possibilities with respect to things I could do today as a result of being sober. Still I prefer to lounge for a bit until the sun comes up and it warms up a bit at least.

My only real struggles so far are when people are drinking socially in front of me. Also, I find myself cringing (spelling?) when people say things like 'I owe you a beer' or 'let's do drinks' or 'did you hear we'll be able to buy wine at the supermarket soon' or 'you should go here they have the best craft beer selection'. I guess these things will bother me less as time goes on but all still a little too fresh for me.

My therapist told me that the first year of sobriety is a bit like the first year after someone close to you dies. There's a year of birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, summer holidays - all of which you need to get used to being without that person or in our case, alcohol. If that's the case, I won't underestimate that this could be a really tough 12 months but I'm ready for it.

Look forward to reading your posts today everyone. I know I don't always comment much but I do get a lot from reading about your experiences as I hope you do mine!!