View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
determined99

Saturday morning!

London and pink, what you both wrote resonated with me about Christmas. Staying on alert is key. Pink, so very sorry about your dad, Christmas, as it has been pushed to us in the media, makes us feel alienated if we don't have that Norman Rockwell type family gathering of 50 happy people. I never did either, not much family and not much emphasis on Christmas. I was always so jealous of other families while I was growing up. I absolutely hated Christmas for many years. I used to get my punk rock destruction anger going and get out of my head. Deep down, I was just sad and wishing I had a big loving family to spend Christmas with. One year I had what I called a misfits Christmas and invited everyone I knew that did not have a typical family and we had our own, with our own made up misfit family. It was kind of cool.

Nevertheless, none of us can change where we are, but we can get that attitude of gratitude and start our own new traditions. And we can do them through sober eyes and sober actions. Real feelings and true emotions every season. No fake feeling of joy thinking the whole bar loves me and life is wonderful because I am off my bird drunk. This team is now officially a Christmas family too by the way!!

This time of the year is tough, emotions change by the hour for me to be honest. But pushing through and keeping an eye on the prize and finding the courage to see and experience everything head on is its own reward.

Off to see a play, Rudolph the red nose reindeer live with my wife and son!

One final thing, a song I love at Christmas that kind of sums up the feelings I have been trying to write about this morning is called "I sing Noel" by Bing Crosby. A personal favorite for me. Little tears well up every time! But hey, I am still one tough dude!

Much love and Christmas joy to you guys. Laugh, listen and spread joy and love every chance you get.