View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
gleefan

Saskia - You sound positively serene.

BoozeFree - I completely relate in feeling too exhausted to go anywhere. My sponsor, bless her heart for dealing with me, suggested that being around people can be a way of reenergizing after a long day. I thought she was insane and didn't understand that (1) I work all day in a customer service role, (2) cart my kids to sports where I have to hang out with more people, (3) have a busy schedule, (4) have this autoimmune condition that leaves me fatigued.

She agreed my schedule is busy, and understood where I was coming from, but encouraged me to *try* a meeting anyway on the nights I was available, or get together with friends, even when I felt tired. In the spirit of proving her wrong I went to a meeting after a particularly exhausting week. I felt energized but figured it was an anomaly. So I did it again another day. Felt energized. This got me thinking, maybe she DID know more about this than me (Lol). I can only speak for myself, but for me, not going to meetings or ducking out of get togethers is a form of isolation. For me it's the most insidious kind, because it's self made.

KIR - I think Dee's point about familiar situations triggering cravings is so spot on. So much of the first year sober for me was about breaking those associations, while building meaningful, enjoyable sober ones. And please do dispose of the bottle! Cravings ebb and flow and there is no need to have your DOC at the ready.

Amp - It's really nice to see your "can't" drink turning into your "willingness to be" sober. I think an office Christmas party is a perfect example. I had overbeveraged at so many office parties, even going down in infamy at my husband's former firm. It was all in good fun, but those nights were insane. Last year, my first Xmas sober, it was unthinkable for me to enjoy one of those events sober, but I enjoyed the appetizers and conversation at my office party, then went home. It was all very enjoyable and appropriate and I remember it a year later.

Key - Glad you're figuring out how to live in the moment from time to time. Please share your tips & how your process those situations that used to lead to anxiety or depression!

WWS - Did I read into your message correctly, that for a moment it was not but then you reigned it back in?? I hope I didn't miss anything - I use the mobile app to access the site and I'm not sure if I missed a post?? I'm glad all is well.

Stargazer - Amp does have a way with words! Hope you're well!

Well, Undies, I skipped on the Friday night meeting because I'm a little under the weather. Nothing serious just a virus. Glad I could read the discussion here and reaffirm my willingness to be sober today.

A friend at work (who doesn't know I'm an alcoholic) shared that his mom was hospitalized earlier this week for liver failure. She's an alcoholic, and she's unsuccessfully tried to quit before, but she's never been sick or hospitalized. On top of being sick, she's detoxing, and she's not doing well at all. Prayers please for another struggling alcoholic like us and her family.