View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
amp123

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
If I'm on my way to a restaurant I can't get on SR or to a meeting. I'm fighting through it, but really hope it gets easier as time goes on and I make new associations with dining out. I feel like crying.
I last had a strong craving last month on the way out to dinner for my wife's birthday. We associate good food with good wine and having a good time when you're missing that seemingly key ingredient can be challenging.

On reflection, however, I have come to the conclusion that having a good time without alcohol is slowly become easier. Someone said to me that the 6-12 month period is when "new normal" just becomes normal. That sounds about right at 8 months. At my staff Christmas party last week I didn't feel like anything was missing. In fact there were a great many benefits to being sober. This was big progress for me but the point here, in my opinion, is about missing things.

In my life as an active alcoholic I was missing so much stuff. Spending quality time with my kids and family, enjoying a walk on the beach, feeling healthy and up most days... I could go on... So missing a glass of wine or a couple of pints with the boys seems a bit trivial in comparison. It doesn't mean I always feel great about not being able to drink but that "not being able" is very slowly becoming "not wanting to". It's going to take time but a world of opportunity is opening up.

There are moments for the white knuckle rides and moments, even at the risk of offence, to duck out of those events that may prove to be difficult. Put your sobriety first and you won't be disappointed. You're doing great so stick with it!!!