View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
ubntubnt

Originally Posted by atxjoshua View Post
This morning, I'm thankful for everyone in this class — for your hard work, your progress, your companionship, and your courage.

It's Day 11 for me, and it's been a tough couple days. The initial excitement and determination for sobriety has given way to something I didn't really plan for — feeling even more depressed than I did when I was drinking. It makes sense, though: All the troubles I was masking while drinking are now very front and center, around the clock, and I don't have alcohol to quiet the inner dialog.

I'm going to try to spin this as a positive, though:

First, I am seeing clearly. I know what I need to work on, and how I can be the best me. I am not caught in a cycle of destruction that masks me from my reality.

Second, I feel down about things I've been needing to work on for years, but instead focused all my energy on self-loathing over my pattern of alcohol abuse. I may be down, but I am more empowered to handle it.

Finally, I believe I can get through this. I didn't always feel that way when I was letting alcohol cloud my judgement.
To use a terrible cliche, this is where the rubber his the road. I am right there with you. You have had a taste of sober life and see the benefits but etc problems are now laid bare in front of you. You stopped drinking because you knew your life was unravelling. Now you are in a position to begin to rebuild the foundations and deal with the issues that have been eating away at you. Its a time to trust in yourself and redouble your efforts. I guarantee you a month from now you will be looking up at a blue sky with many problems resolved, not all, but many. Now compare that to lying in bed riddled with booze and anxiety.