View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
atxjoshua

This morning, I'm thankful for everyone in this class — for your hard work, your progress, your companionship, and your courage.

It's Day 11 for me, and it's been a tough couple days. The initial excitement and determination for sobriety has given way to something I didn't really plan for — feeling even more depressed than I did when I was drinking. It makes sense, though: All the troubles I was masking while drinking are now very front and center, around the clock, and I don't have alcohol to quiet the inner dialog.

I'm going to try to spin this as a positive, though:

First, I am seeing clearly. I know what I need to work on, and how I can be the best me. I am not caught in a cycle of destruction that masks me from my reality.

Second, I feel down about things I've been needing to work on for years, but instead focused all my energy on self-loathing over my pattern of alcohol abuse. I may be down, but I am more empowered to handle it.

Finally, I believe I can get through this. I didn't always feel that way when I was letting alcohol cloud my judgement.