View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
waywardson8260

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I have been trying to find the balance between overdoing it when I'm tired and a slight shove when I'm feeling lazy. This really resonated with me.

This resonated with me too!! Just when I had been achieving & maintaining strong fitness I was hit with psoriatic arthritis. About six months before I got sober I started getting sidelined by pain that made me unable to exercise in my feet and ankles.

Then I started sorting through my recovery and I couldn't differentiate between toxic thinking, pain and fatigue from undiagnosed autoimmune arthritis, and PAWS.

I've tried various times to "get back in shape" over the course of my recovery, but been sidelined by arthritis each and every time - and also by my type A drive to go harder, faster, and more intense, and drive towards my previous level of fitness, instead of heeding the rheumatologist's advice to stay slow and steady.

Saskia, you must be in my brain today. Either that or we alcoholics aren't all that different from each other.

Any suggestions on a rational approach would be greatly appreciated!!
One thing I have been doing well is that I have been doing a good exercise program regularly for years sober or not. I was an avid runner even doing a marathon in 3:11 although that was many years ago. Now I mainly walk and do elliptical and weights in the gym.

Your doctors advice is spot on! Here is a few things I've learned-

Start out slowly. If you start right where you left off you are courting disaster. Progress gradually. Don't increase your distance or intensity or distance more than 10% a week. Our bodies have to adapt to exercise just like it adapts to sobriety. I've had every knee and ankle pain known to man to prove it.

Recovery is essential. Exercise does tear down our muscles, not build them up like the common perception. Once this minor damage is done, then our bodies kick into gear to repair the damage and usually better than it was given enough time. Over many cycles of this is generally how you get in better shape. Usually recover 3 to 4 days for weights and I would suggest no more than three days a week for cardio to start..

Your body does adapt to the stresses put on it but this a gradual process. And as we get older of course we must lower our expectations because it doesn't adapt like it used to. A slight discomfort is good, but pain is bad-Stop!

I hope this helps Glee and Saskia. I'm going for my walk now!