View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
GoldenSands

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Goldensands, never tasting an IPA again is a small price to pay for breaking out of this prison! Also, this opens new avenues to taste test many excellent non-alcoholic beverages. Congratulations on hitting 15 days, something you should be very proud of. Off topic, you mentioned dog training, are you taking your pup to classes or are you training on your own? I have a 1 ½ y/o German Shephard who missed out on puppy training because of illnesses and allergies the first 3-4 months after we got her (she was 2.5 months then). She is very antisocial around other dogs, almost aggressive, and is now acting up with strangers too. Any tips?
Odelle, You're right. I had a dream last night after posting that. My dream was that I had a freakin' beer! I was immediately so disappointed in myself and regretted it. So, won't be doing that. lol

As for dog training, I've been meeting with a trainer once a month for 5 months. My girl is 8 months old. Of course i would say that if you can find a really good obedience club, you could sign up for classes. It's crucial for german shepherds to get as much socialization as possible or it will bite you in the ass later. It sounds likes like that is what she missed out on. Example: take your dog weekly to all places where animals are allowed- bass pro, barnes and noble, home depot or lowes (double check first), city/town events, dog parks, pet stores. Have everyone and anyone come up and give her treats. People who come to your house, have them give her treats. Have her around kids, other dogs, lots of treats and praise around these things. socialize, socialize, socialize! She is still young enough to turn it around i'm sure.
But definitely look into obedience classes- that is your best bet and far worth the money. not the petco/petsmart ones. The club i found here is amazing and surprisingly affordable.

Agility classes would also be super fun for you and your german shepherd, and actually be really good for you while you heal in sobriety. At least that it what i am told! haha, my trainer is pushing me to start agility in January and i think it really would help me- keep me busy one night a week and give me a hobby etc. We actually went out to the agility field today and had a blast letting Stella (my dog) learn a bunch of the obstacles. These dogs are so smart and pick up quick.
Omg, i'm so sorry this is way off topic and ill shut up now!!

OMG i thought I lost you guys for a second!! I typed all this ^^^ hours ago and forgot to hit send I guess, then when i tried to post it the november class was gone lol I knew it was moved somewhere but had a slight panic that i wouldn't be able to find you guys! Haha, i need yall! Happy december