View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
itllgetbetter

Finding Sponsor in Al-Anon/Nar-Anon/ACoA

Hi all - I've been attending Al-Anon and ACoA meetings due to a parent's addiction, and I've found a lot of strength and hope from these fellowships -- I'm so grateful for that! The only problem is that I'm having trouble finding a sponsor. All of the different meetings I've been to (and I've been to a lot) focus on reading literature and sharing. There really isn't any discussion of working the steps or sponsorship, nor are any phone lists circulated. I've noticed that most of the members have been in program for many years (10+), and they seem to already have sponsors from long ago.

I'm in another 12-step program for my own addiction, and those meetings are very different when it comes to sponsorship. Either there's a time during the meeting when everyone who is available to sponsor stands up or we circulate a book for phone numbers where you can check off your name if you're available to sponsor. I think maybe it's just a difference between friends/family groups and non-friends/family groups..? Anyway, if you have faced this issued or have any suggestions on finding a sponsor, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you!