View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

So glad you checked in Joe. You had a lot of people worried. Have you come to the point where you realize that drinking alcohol is your number one problem? I don't want to talk down to you and tell you things you already know, so forgive me if it seems that way, but alcohol is a depressant. If you are already suffering from depression, mild or otherwise, it will only exacerbate it. Even if you don't suffer from depression, you can have bouts of it as a result of heavy drinking.
For example, while I have battled with periods of mild to moderate depression in the past, I have never majorly suffered. However, when drinking heavily there would be mornings I would wake up absolutely wanting to die. I would seriously consider suicide I was so low.
It took a very short amount of time being sober for that to lift.
The thing is I don't think you can address the depression while actively drinking.
Do you feel ready to give sobriety a go? Is there something holding you back? Do you not want to stop or can you just not resist the drink? My problem was that I just couldn't resist. I wanted to stop with everything in me but couldn't seem to. I went to an addiction center and was given medication to help with cravings. I am now at the point where I am stopping them, though I have a supply in my house should I feel that I need them.
Could you look into medication?
What can we do to help? It is sad to see others hurting and I know a lot of us would be happy to talk you through a strong craving or difficult moment. Please reach out next time you think of drinking.
Take care of yourself.