View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
SoberMarathon

Originally Posted by Dallow View Post
Welcome to all the new members! Glad to have you with us Enfin, I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Please check in often, we are here for you! Most of us have done awful things when we were drinking. But this is not who you really are, you will get through this and start showing everyone around you what a great person you are when sober. The regret and the shame is awful, I know. Stay strong these early days and eventually it will get better! Vanilla, that first day is horrible, I know. We're not only physically drained but also mentally. If you feel cravings, post here and let it out - we all know what it's like! I guess for all of us one of the biggest problems dealing with this is that we feel "we've done this to ourselves". That we put ourselves in this position. In a way that's true, and we have to work hard to get out of this. But to heal I think we also must be kinder to ourselves and realise that nobody wants to be an alcoholic, nobody strives to become one. We are both the perpetrator and the victim - but we need to find another way to live, that's the only way to become who we really are.
well said. Self-loathing needs to lead to forgiveness at some point. Nobody's perfect. I know plenty of people who are total arse's even when sober. Most of us are good people that just have an unsolicited problem. As you put it, none of us set out to become alcoholics or problem drinkers.