View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
IWLSAST

Happy Thanksgiving, Undies (for those who celebrate today)...

Well this is my third sober TG on this hopefully last sober journey.

La Bumba - means bummer among my group of misfits - just burned the top coating of my sausage-stuffing that I am taking with me today. Will be with family about an hour away till early evening, then with AA for another dinner this evening. A busy fun day.

Yes, I said "fun"! By following the principal of AA, I've learned to fix much of the hot mess that existed between my ears for decades. Certainly not the only path to a joyous, happy and free sober life, but, as I found out, fixing my thinking was every bit as important to my recovery as not drinking.

Hey, while I thought I was...I was not a unique drunk. So, a path to sobriety by following the successes of the many that passed before me seems to be a softer easier way, for sure.

My life and house has been a total mess for a couple months now. I live in the northeast and will be moving to Florida in a few weeks. The trials and tribulations of separating myself from my past by literally cleaning out everything I have garnered in a lifetime has been a huge hassle. However, I am so glad that I was required to do so and have my house ready for new tenants that will be renting. Throwing and giving things away that I thought held some meaning has been a special freedom.

Example: I wear sweatshirts to AA meetings - mostly my college and Pittsburgh Steelers, and give them away after the meeting. As my good recovery friend from Florida jokes, "What's a sweatshirt?"

As always, thanks for the many posts on here that continue to help to keep me sober. I read often, but now post rarely. Undies is, and will remain a big part of the fabric that has helped to shape my sober path.

FOR THAT I AM THANKFUL on this Thanksgiving Day.

My Best To All -

Carlos

PS - Hey 19, congrats. Glee is a good friend and sober bestie. While caution should always be your guide, I have met Glee on a few occasions as we toured various AA venues in neutral cities. Last year around this time we met in Manhattan and went to three meetings in a day in some stored meeting rooms. All the while like 10,000 nut jobs dresses as Santa descended upon the city for an annual bar-hopping Santa extravaganza. We didn't hit bar #1 - and it was a blast!