View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  
gleefan

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
I've tried to avoid situations but some things my husband looks at me like I got horns coming out of my head. He is a drinker. He doesn't understand that part. He tries, well to a degree, I presume. I am just overwhelmed with anxiety and stress right now and these holidays are the worst. Giving people a reason to drink for hours on end and to think I was right there. I'll be ok it's just stressful, you know where I'm at. Thank you you guys! (Hug)!
(((Key))) - I can relate to having a partner who doesn't completely understand. My husband is a drinker too. In fact we drank together - heavily - for a long time. When I stopped drinking, and was no longer interested in doing the same things I always did. When I was drinking my decisions were directed toward preserving my alcoholism. My decisions are bound to be different today because today they are directed toward recovery. My husband didn't seem to know how to make heads or tails of it. He was not supportive all the time. And it was hard for me to do what what was right for me, especially when he wasn't supportive of my decisions. I talked about it A LOT in the undies thread.

Without my husband's blessing, or the blessing of any of my friends or family, I dug into recovery. Every day I posted here or talked to another alcoholic. I went to AA meetings. I got a sponsor. I started to work on the 12 steps.

My husband thought I was crazy. My friends wondered what happened to me. I kept trusting my instincts and doing what I need to stay sober and feel some peace and calm.

I'm not super active in AA, and far from a zealot, but I do go to meetings at least once a week. I have a few friends in recovery who I trust, and a great sponsor. We all keep each other in check, so that our focus stays balanced where it needs to be - sometimes it's on ourselves and other times it's on our family or friends.

Today I hope you get a glimpse of some real peace, and that you are able to rely on us if you need us.