View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
gleefan

KIR - Congrats on day 17. I had cravings for a while, and sometimes they were stronger than others. Recovery is progressive, though, and in time they will probably diminish. When I work on my program (not BoozeFree's meaning of womp, but I agree with Dee in that your suggestion is a good one), it keeps space between me and booze so that I don't succumb to cravings.

Oh and it's just a little Undie inside joke to call work "womp." BoozeFree coined this, referring to the downer sound effect womp-womp, which she equates with going to work. (Did I get it right?)

Zombob - I read gratitude, humility and honesty in your post. Like you, in addiction I very much saw myself as a victim. When I was arrested for a DUI, my talk track was that there was a corrupt small town police force. Nope, turns out it was just that I hit some construction materials on the side of road with my car when I was drunk. AA has taught me to honestly admit what I did, humbly realize that it was wrong, and be grateful that the only thing I damaged was my car. Good luck in court and keep sharing your serene perspective on life with us.

BoozeFree - Way to go on your ongoing sobriety. I'm glad you're having fun.

WWS - You sound so focused and centered. Have you always been that way?

Amp - Please keep rambling on! I enjoy your musings on recovery.

Your story about John Smith's relapse brought tears to my eyes. What an intense experience on your first Day 1 that stuck.

I know what you mean though about learning through other alcoholics' experiences. Just like I see how I relate to other people's stories, I take heed from their relapses or bottoms. When for example Saskia traces her relapse back to allowing herself one drink a year, and resolves never allow alcohol back into her life again, it strengthens my resolve to never drink again. Carlos' story (his user name is IWLSAST, for the newer members of the thread) is similar too, where one drink after 11 1/2 years was a gateway to losing what he held dear. It makes sense to me that the terrible circumstances that John Smith found himself in after his bender would strengthen your resolve never to drink again.

As we head into Thanksgiving in the US, I want to share how thankful I am for the collective support and wisdom of the Undies. We help me stay sober one day at a time.