View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  
jackrussell

Your post, Zero, reminds me how out of touch I am with contemporary music. I didn't recognize any of the bands you mentioned. I listen to a collection of Songza playlists, generally. Mellow escapist evening music; Contemporary blues; Essential Jazz; Essential Reggae; David Byrne's record collection; Surf Rock; Cooking with Walter White, Chet Baker, etc. A great evening traditional DJ show on CBC called Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap, in which the old musician tells great stories and spins vinyl. Wonderful. Saturday, he did two hours on the music of Muscle Shoals. A friend's son has a rap video with 8 million hits on youtube, and tho it's fun to watch, and kind of catchy, I admit that I missed the generational boat on hiphop. And part of me feels stultified in a kind of generational limbo, the same place my parents occupied in their day, hanging with Glenn Miller and Vaughn Monroe as my Rolling Stones rocked the music scene. My jazz friends keep me up to date on contemporary jazz. I must poke my daughter into sending vital new music that ain't Taylor Swift my way.