View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
onetimeless

Hello everyone! Through skimming I see mentions of insomnia and anxiety...two of my own biggest downfalls!
For insomnia, I find that melatonin helps - but I highly recommend you not take it if you have vivid dreams, as it can produce worse ones. I've dealt with wild dreams forever so not much of a change for me. Also, valerian root is a wonderful aid - I take it about an hour before bed and it helps calm me into a lull. I suggest reading up on it if it sounds like something you'd like!

As for the anxiety.. I have been on a whirlwind!! I practice deep breathing regularly. If something makes me anxious, I find a spot where I am as close to alone as possible and take a minute or two with my eyes closed to remind myself why I chose to be sober, and that it's only a side effect of the detox. I also find it helps me relax when I think about the fact that it's just a moment of emotion, and it will pass in due time. One of the best mantras for me is that every feeling, be it good or bad, is finally being felt!!

Yesterday we had a rep bring in bourbon for tasting. I was incredibly uncomfortable, but was happy to smell it and not take a single sip, although it made me incredibly anxious to watch all of my coworkers do the shot... The thought of drinking my own taste made me even more anxious than that, to the point of feeling nauseous. Memories of the hangovers? Or just a wonderful reminder?

Does anyone else deal with that anxiety when others drink?

Today is the official 13 days in and I cannot wait to wake up tomorrow at two full weeks of sobriety. I know this battle will follow me forever, but the fact that I have accomplished this much motivates me to keep going.

Just remember...Every morning you wake up is a beautiful one.