View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
patricia68

Originally Posted by he19me View Post
I did not slip last night.
I want to share my approach and it worked very well. Hope it can be of some help to others.
It was a bigger group than I had expected. All knew that I drink and probably drink the most. All afternoon I was scared, nervous what will everyone say or think about me.
All afternoon I worked on my excuses, promised not to cave in and stick to my drink of choice “Club Soda with Lime”. But when the waitress approached I changed my mind and in a low voice ordered, ”A Third of Coke and rest Sprite with some Lemon Juice”.
During the 4 and a half hours of drinking, I for the first time realized how drunk everyone can get, heard many untold stories and unseen personalities came out. Well they were always there, just that, for the first time I have memories of them. I now know the 2 sides of them, at work and off work. I am not judging them, but it was a blast. When about to pay the bill, one of them, who had the least drinks asked, dude will you be able to get back home safely and show up in the morning after having 4 Long Island Ice Teas? I with a smile explained, these were just Ice Teas, no alcohol, as I have to hit the gym in the morning, before getting to work. I bet he doesn’t remember.
My fear of what everyone will think if I say, I do not drink anymore was just my fear. No one cared, they were busy enjoying their drinks, cracking jokes, telling stories from work and personal lives. And I was having fun and laughing like others, and I guess I remember them all.
This morning, I have no hangovers and am fresh, but I see my colleagues dragging along as the day is passing.
I cannot remember in recent past if anything made feel so proud of myself.
Trust me it was very easy, I just had to do it to believe it. If I can do it I bet you all can do it.
I love your approach he19me! Thank you for sharing!