Thread: Over the Hump?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sogladnow

Well done for 3 weeks, it takes courage and effort to stop at all, never mind 3 weeks.

I felt much the same as you early on, I was very excited I had my new sober life, I was getting congratulations from a lot of people, life was good.

Somebody said I was on pink cloud, and that is how I felt, on a lovely pink cloud.

Unfortunately, it didn't last for ever. I found that my sobriety started to become more 'normal' and as such people stopped congratulating me. The pink cloud disappeared. I started to think that maybe I could have just one... I fought it for a while, then I relapsed. The relapse wasn't the wonderful experience I had planned, it was straight back to the hell of drinking with the added disappointment of knowing I had failed early on. My family were very upset with me too, after all, for weeks I had told them of my new found life and how sorry I was for the past and how I had changed.

Cravings went for me after about 3 months.

I'm only a year sober but I now no longer crave alcohol one bit. I do still think about having that 'perfect drink' though, I just have to talk it through and not allow my classic 'poor me' thoughts ( Its so unfair, everyone else can have a drink....) get a grip.

As someone said, if a bird lands on your head shoo it away, don't let it make a nest !

Good luck, keep going, you WILL get there.