View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Midton

The thing that bugs me most at present about sobriety.

So, I work pretty hard all week, nose to the grindstone. During the week, both now and in the past, I'm up at 6. Then I take the kids to school at 7:25, work out 8-10, eat then work till around 9:30. Finally, I eat and go to bed, reading a book for five minutes before falling asleep. In the past I used to do a half day on Saturday. Basically it's a long week.

Like a marathon runner, I would trot through the week, one foot after another. Then come Friday night, my finishing line, I'd have a bottle of wine. Then Saturday I'd have more. This was my release, my relaxation time, my downtime and my escape from the mind numbing routine that's my life (my daily work is exactly the same day after day, week after week and year after year; no meeting, no business trips, no undulations at all).

Now at the weekend I have nothing. I feel a sense of panic that my life is speeding towards its end and I'm not making the most of it. Sure, not drinking has reigned in my lowest lows but so far it has also reigned in the highs. I'm just constant.

I'm about to enter 4 months of pretty bad winter which is even worse, a hibernation of hard labour with the snow we get here.

I'm probably just down because I'm missing drinking. I, know people will say these are the same but, don't have much in the way of cravings these days more a longing for past times.