View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BellJar7

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Belljar

I'm sorry to read your full story - but I know that you'll hear from others here who deal with issues in their family.

The thing to remember about drinking is it solves nothing - and the more you turn to it, the more you'll find yourself dragged down, your abilities depleted and your capacity to cope with anything, much less your children, will be drastically reduced.

I'm not going to tell you shouldn't have adopted these children - thats's noone's right here to say...but I think it's clear you need to find yourself more help and support.

Parenting is obviously a job that's testing your limits - but drinking will only deplete those limits further.

D
Thank you, Dee. Despite the awful things I've been through, I still feel like adopting these children was the right thing to do for them. But now I have to figure out how it was the right thing to do for me. I agree with you that I HAVE to find support for myself.

I think tomorrow is a good day to call for a counseling appointment. I've got to fit it in somehow. I can't deal with all of this by myself, obviously.

I do see how me and my husband have made positive changes in the lives of these kids (they have improved remarkably), but I've lost myself in the meantime. I need to find me again, without alcohol.

Thank you EVERYONE for your encouragement. I'll keep coming here, even as I stumble. You guys are amazing.

BellJar