View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Retread1959

Patricia,

I'm worried about you. I've been in relationships where I was told that I was the reason for all the bad things, torn down, and made to feel worthless. It sucks.

I don't know much about your situation compared to what I went through, but I do know that for me I had to decide that I wasn't the problem and that my life and my thoughts and ideas were worthy of respect. I couldn't afford to take my self-worth from someone else who thought poorly of me, and I had to learn to see those behaviors in that person as a reflection of that person's insecurity and lack of self-worth.

People who tear down others do it because they need to do it in order to make themselves feel better. It's because they struggle with their own feelings of inadequacy, but that's not the point. They aren't to be excused. I'm saying this only to point out that the problem isn't with you, it's with the person who has to treat you this way in order to feel better about himself.

You don't need to believe it, internalize it, or do anything else. I can't advise you what you should ultimately do but I do know that, for me, being in that situation was toxic and it took many changes to move forward. Just something to consider.

Hugs to you. We'll always be here for you and we want you to succeed.