View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nymets86

Drunk people caught on camera

Hey everyone,
I haven't posted on this forum in awhile. I've been doing pretty well. A few slip ups since my February hospitalization, but nothing that lasted more than one day that I'd categorize as a relapse. Been sober 263 of the last 266 days. I even made it through a Mets run to the World Series without a drink and then seeing them lose in the World Series, also without having a drink.

Anyway, one huge benefit of sobriety is a lot more time to read articles and watch online videos I'd otherwise have been too drunk or hungover to read and/or remember.

Since this site is all about anonymity, I won't mention either of the two people I've seen recently by name, but my descriptions will be enough for you to find them, so I feel badly about that.

Two recent high profile (viral) videos have gone up. One of a drunken college student berating and then shoving a dining hall manager, and one of a drunken man punching/slapping an Uber driver after the driver told him to get out of his car.

My understanding is that the college student was expelled and the man in the Uber video was fired from his job. Both subsequently posted apology videos online.

In both cases, the behavior was clearly unacceptable and in the apologies, both mentioned how they cringed seeing it. I watched the full length videos of both incidents and honestly, couldn't help but see myself in their shoes. I feel horrible for both of them, and also feel just straight up lucky that I was never in that situation. I'd like to think I'd never behave like that, but I've woken up in my apartment before with no clue how I got home, meaning I'm sure some cab driver had to deal with me (I don't own a car since I live in New York City), and similarly with trying to get food while drunk at a number of late night restaurants.

I'm posting this since I feel incredibly conflicted about these two situations. On the one hand, the behavior is unacceptable and the public ridicule and loss of job/enrollment seem justified. On the other hand though, I know that I'm not a bad person, and that when I drank too much, I did bad things.

I hope that both of these individuals can put their lives back together. I'm lucky enough that none of my drunken nonsense was captured on cell phone video. And I know that if I keep staying sober, that won't be a problem I have to worry about. Just thinking about both videos now is making me cringe. It could have been me in one of those. And here I sit, getting ready for bed and ready for a nice relaxing Sunday without a hangover. I'll be going in to work on Monday with my employer having no idea the struggle I've had with alcohol.

Goodnight folks