Thread: On My Way #2
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I remember coming home one night and having to soak my hands in ice water. My rings were so tight that it was painful. I had visions of going to the ER to have them cut off.
Ouch! I've never experienced that. The extent of what often happens is that I can't twirl my wedding ring, which I normally can do. The worst situations that I can remember, which I wrote about without detail yesterday, were at my first spring marathon, the NJ Marathon, and the following fall in Burlington VT. Both were brutally hot which caused dozens of people to be sent to the hospital with heat strokes and cardiac arrests and I drank too much of whatever sports drink was offered while on the course. Toward the end of 26.2 miles everything is hurting, but once I crossed the finish line my attention turned from completing the race to how bad my hands were and when I took off my sneakers I couldn't see my ankle bones. During the Burlington race I was more aware, but still misjudged. You can be sure I've never made that mistake again. Yeah, experience counts.