View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Congrats on 29 Carlos!

Mags,
You aren't selfish. Just possessed of good sense.

I lost a very long post to all and you in particular about what you did not miss raising kids. It sent me off on a jaunt perusing lyrics to songs that influenced me. Cat Stevens' "Father and Son" Which as a young teen struck a chord since mine abandoned us when I was six and never made contact or support of any kind again. Then another favorite from Harry Chapin, struck down by a head on collision, Harry Chapin's "Cat's In The Cradle" seems to be true today with my kids but in a great way as mine are not clingy and neither are we.

I hope you get to keep your job too!

FBL,
I am with Zip, he is creepy. Thanks for giving up the name so I could look him up. We are yo yo'ing from mid to upper 70s and on Saturday mid 60s then up again?? Glad you are having it mild.

And thanks for getting me to contemplate time and spatial paradox and the inability to take the edge of Occam's razor to it!

FG,
If your warning lights are going off it is always cheaper to take it in before it dies even if only from avoiding a house call and tow in cheaper. Hope the fog lifts for you!

Morning Wolf!

Sassy ever listen to "Mornin" by Al Jarreau? Here is the video from the early 80's and despite the funky clothes it still is a great song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzXNdLVZs3k

Hi Drake!

I lost a very long post so this will be significantly shorter. I was doing Harry Chapin then veered off into his Wiki profile because I had forgotten how young he was when he had a head on collision, likely due to myocardial infarction.

His songs were seminal to me, and were popular as I finished off my teen years. I'd forgotten how incisive, and powerful his lyrics were. I have a new house, and lots yet to do. But am short a dream now. I have done 200% of my bucket lists and dreams as a kid and young adult and parent. I have all I need and then some, and have already had it all, and then some and have nothing I really want for, or I'd have it already or be close.

That made me, again, realize that many children are not able to survive the hunger and poverty of war, or even escape it. He wrote what one close friend and critic called the second most depressing song ever written, so if you don’t know what “The Shortest Story” is about, be forewarned if you look it up, it is a terrible tear jerker.

When I was lonely I'd listen to his "A BetterPlaceToBe."

Then I remembered how deeply he’d touched my life. And that he’s lived up to the challenge I now take up again.

His epitaph is taken from his song "I Wonder What Would Happen to this World." It is:
Oh if a man tried
To take his time on Earth
And prove before he died
What one man's life could be worth
I wonder what would happen
to this world
I know his lyrics among many others changed my world. I wonder what would happen, if I tried to prove it again too?

We are blessed. We have been blessed. Because we were born into free societies, we lived.

Just to live past our first birthday is a miracle others in our world today can’t share.

I guess I’m going to have to try.